The Fannie E. Rippel Foundation was established upon the death of Julius S. (J.S.) Rippel in memory of his wife, Fannie E. Rippel. The Foundation was established in 1953 to invest in initiatives addressing cancer, heart disease, the health of women and the elderly, and the maintenance of our nation’s hospitals. In directing funds, the Board of Trustees was granted broad authority to adopt approaches it deemed appropriate for changing times.
In 2007, the Board reflected on the relevance of the Foundation’s mission in today’s environment. The Trustees considered the writings of Julius A. Rippel, the founder’s nephew and the first Foundation President.
Julius A. had advocated for the important role of foundations as “pioneers” who must “have the courage to take initiative” in response to “changes in modern life.” As it planned for the Foundation’s future, the Board acknowledged the complex relationships between how health is achieved, how care is provided, and how resources are directed to reduce the prevalence of chronic diseases.